North Central News

Candy can be toxic for pets

Halloween may be over, but those bags of candy that you have leftover, combined with the pillowcases of candy your children brought home, mean that the treats will last a couple more weeks.

Which also means that the danger to your family pets isn’t quite over yet.

Chocolate in all forms is dangerous for dogs and cats, and candy wrappers, tinfoil, gum, and more can be hazardous if swallowed. Chocolate could prove deadly for canines because it contains a potent toxin called theobromine.

Place the candy bowls out of paw’s reach and explain to well-meaning children that even though a dog or cat may beg for candy, it’s important not to share with them. Make sure your pets can’t get into an unattended candy stash, or even a garbage full of wrappers.

If you suspect your pet has ingested a potentially dangerous substance, call your veterinarian or the Animal Poison Control Center (888-426-4435) immediately. The first signs of chocolate poisoning are vomiting, diarrhea, increased urination and rapid heartbeat.

Treats can make wildlife sick, so be sure to properly dispose of candy and wrappers to keep animals at bay.

Like what you see? Share it!

Related Posts

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Our Advertisers