April is the perfect time to enjoy the beautiful spring weather on two wheels. This month is Valley Bike Month, and whether you are a regular bike commuter or just an occasional rider, there are several events and specials for cyclists.
“Bike to Books” is a family-friendly event scheduled for 2-3:30 p.m. Sunday, April 12. Join Phoenix Spokes People for a casual ride starting at the Burton Barr Library, winding through some of the city’s Little Free Libraries, and ending at Changing Hands Bookstore at 5th Avenue and Camelback Road. For more information or to register for this free event, visit: www.facebook.com/events/377076249145736/.
Valley bike riders also are invited to join in on Phoenix/Maricopa Bike to Work Day, 7-9 a.m. Thursday, April 23. Join Phoenix City Council and Maricopa County officials, as well as other dignitaries at Park Central Mall, Central Avenue and Earll Drive, for a police escorted 3-mile ride to CityScape. There will be free T-shirts, prize drawings, and more. There also will be free breakfast for the first 400 registered participants. Pre-registration is required at: www.maricopa.gov/communications/btw.aspx.
Also, bike in to the following businesses this month and receive:
• Happy hour pricing all day at Spoke & Wheel Tavern, 8525 N. Central Ave. (ongoing)
• 10 percent off parts, accessories and café purchases at Trailhead Bike Café, 6825 N. 16th St.
• One free pastry of choice at Urban Cookies Bakeshop, 4711 N. 7th St.
• 10 percent off bike parts and accessories at Landis Cyclery, 712 W. Indian School Road.
• One free doughnut with any coffee purchase at Rollover Doughnuts, 10 W. Vernon Ave.
• $1 off a pitcher of beer at Short Leash Sit…Stay, 100 E. Roosevelt St.
• $25 bike tune-up (regular $35) or a $10 bike wash (regular $15) at Phoenix Bicycle Sales and Service, 2808 E. Thomas Road
To see more deals, events and contests, visit www.valleymetro.org/campaigns_contests/valley_bike_month.