The USDA has partnered with St. Mary’s Food Bank to once again provide free summer meals to children ages 18 an younger throughout the Valley this summer. The purpose of the program is to help ease demand summer food, particularly among children who take part in the free breakfast and lunch programs during the school year.
Accompanying adults will have the option to purchase a meal for themselves at a very inexpensive rate.
Several sites will be hosting the summer meal program Monday through Friday (some exceptions). Contact the person listed at each site to check on space and enrollment qualifications, if any.
Acacia Library, 750 E. Townley Ave. Lunch served 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. May 29-Aug. 10. Contact: Tom Gemberling, 602-380-1444
Burton Barr Library, 1221 N. Central Ave. Lunch served 12-1 p.m. May 26-Aug. 7. Contact: Terry Lawler, 602-534-5014
Century Library, 1750 E. Highland Ave. Lunch serve3d 12-2 p.m. May 19-Aug. 8. Contact: Karen Idehara, 602-261-8677
Yucca Library, 5648 N. 15th Ave. Supper served 3-5 p.m. May 26-Aug. 7. Contact: Sabrena Adams, 602-534-1234
City Youth/Rec Centers:
Marc Atkinson Recreation Center, 4535 N. 23rd Ave. Supper served 4-6 p.m. May 26-Aug. 8. Contact: David Fierro, 602-495-5451
Sunnyslope Youth Center, 1702 W. Peoria Ave. Lunch served 12-2 p.m. June 1-Aug. 7. Contact: Annette Soto, 602-534-5088
Washington Activity Center, 2240 W. Citrus Way. The Kids Café serves its hot meal 3:30-5:30 p.m. p.m. Monday through Friday, through May 29. The program will then resume on Aug. 3. Snack will still be available to kids Monday through Friday from 3-3:30 p.m., June 1-24. Contact: David Fierro, 602-534-7937
Misc. Hosted Sites:
Christown YMCA, 5517 N. 17th Ave. Lunch served 12-3 p.m. May 26-Aug. 7. Contact: Mary Davis, 623-329-4368
Native Community Health Center, 2423 W. Dunlap #140. Lunch served 12-2 p.m. June 1-Aug. 7. Contact: Susan Levy, 602-279-5263, ext. 3111
Native Health WIC @Central, 4041 N. Central Ave, Bldg C. Lunch served 12-2 p.m. May 26-Aug. 7. Contact: Susan Levy, 602-279-5263, ext. 3111
Native Health Info & Referral Center, 9617 N. Metro Pkwy #1060. Lunch served 2-4 p.m. May 26-Aug. 8. Contact: Susan Levy, 602-279-5263, ext. 3111
PIMC WIC, 4212 N. 16th St. Lunch served 1-3 p.m. May 26-Aug. 7. Contact: Susan Levy, 602-279-5263, ext. 3111
Sunnyslope Family Health Center, 934 W. Hatcher Road. Lunch served 11 a.m.-2 p.m. June 1-Aug. 7. Contact: Kathy Schmitz, 602-344-6307
Torah Day School of Phoenix, 1118 W. Glendale Ave. Breakfast is 9-10:15 a.m. and lunch is 11:45 a.m.-1:30 p.m., June 22-July 31.
The Madison School District has two hosted sites. Madison No. 1 will provide meals twice daily, Monday-Friday, from May 26-July 31 (closed July 3) at the school, 5525 N. 16th St. Breakfast is served 7:45-8:30 a.m.; lunch served 12-12:45 p.m.
Madison Rose Lane will provide meals twice daily from June 1-25 at the school, 1155 E. Rose Lane. Breakfast served 7:30-8 a.m.; lunch served 12-12:30 p.m.
Solano Elementary School in the Osborn School District will offer breakfast from 7 to 8:30 a.m. and lunch from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., June 1-30. The School is located at 1526 W. Missouri Ave. This is the only school in the district participating in the summer food service program.
The Phoenix Union High School District, along with other agencies, will provide breakfast and lunch for children 18 years of age and younger at 13 high schools, Monday through Thursday, May 26-June 25. Participating schools include: Camelback, 4612 N. 28th St.; Central, 4525 N. Central Ave.; Metro Tech, 1900 W. Thomas Road; and North, 1101 E. Thomas Road. Each of these school campuses will be hosting Summer School. Food will be prepared, as it is during the regular school year, at each location in the school cafeteria. Participating community members will be directed to the designated areas of each campus. Breakfast will be served from 7:15 to 8 a.m., with lunch being served from 10:45 a.m. until 12:15 p.m. Adults are welcome to accompany children and can purchase breakfast for $2 and lunch for $3.
The Washington Elementary School District also provides a summer meal program for children ages 1 to 18 at all of its campuses, dates and times vary. In the North Central community, those campuses, dates and times include:
- Desert View Elementary, 8621 N. 3rd St., Monday-Thursday, June 1-25. Breakfast is served 7-7:30 a.m., and lunch is available 10:30-11 a.m.
- Maryland Elementary, 6503 N. 21st Ave., Monday-Friday, June 1-July 24. Breakfast is served 8:30-9 a.m., and lunch is available 12-12:30 p.m.
- Mountain View School, 801 W. Peoria Ave., Monday-Thursday, June 1-25. Breakfast is served 7-7:30 a.m., and lunch is available 10:30-11 a.m.
- Orangewood School, 7337 N. 19th Ave., Monday-Friday, May 29-July 31. Breakfast is served 7:45-8:30 a.m., and lunch is available 11:15 a.m.-12 p.m.
- R.E. Miller School, 2021 W. Alice Ave., Monday-Thursday, June 1-25. Breakfast is served 8:30-9 a.m., and lunch is available 12-12:30 p.m.
- Royal Palm Middle School, 8520 N. 19th Ave., Monday-Thursday, June 1-25. Breakfast is served 8:30-9 a.m., and lunch is available 12-12:30 p.m.
- Sunnyslope Elementary, 245 E. Mountain View Road, Monday-Thursday, June 1-25. Breakfast is served 7-7:30 a.m., and lunch is available 10:30-11 a.m.
- Washington Elementary, 8033 N. 27th Ave., Monday-Friday, May 29-July 31. Breakfast is served 7:45-8:30 a.m., and lunch is available 11:15 a.m.-12 p.m.