It’s that time of year that Phoenix dessert lovers longingly wait for: the commencement of Girl Scout Cookie sales, and the return of the Girl Scout Cookie Dessert Challenge.
For six weeks each year, Girl Scouts in Arizona participate in the largest girl-led business: the Girl Scout Cookie Program. Now through March 5, more than 17,000 girls in central and northern Arizona will be walking around neighborhoods with delicious cookies and boothing in front of local stores. This cookie season will be an extra special one for them, as 2017 marks the 100th year of the first known sale of cookies by Girl Scouts.
Returning are perennial favorites Thin Mints, Samoas, peanut butter Tagalongs, and the shortbread Trefoils. And new this year is the S’mores cookie, in two versions: a graham cookie double dipped in crème icing and finished with a chocolate coating, or graham sandwich cookies with creamy chocolate and marshmallow-like filling. A limited supply of the gluten-free Toffee-tastics and Trios also should be available again this year. To find a cookie booth near you, visit www.girlscoutcookies.org and put in your ZIP code.
And, due to popular demand, the Girl Scouts are bringing back the award-winning Girl Scout Cookie Dessert Challenge.
For the fourth year in a row, chefs from more than two dozen restaurants across the Valley will go head-to-head to create a winning dessert using one of the Girl Scout cookie flavors. The new creations will be sold in their restaurants throughout February, with a portion of sales benefitting local girl scouting.
The chefs are putting their support behind the girls and want to inspire the community to do the same and buy an extra box or two. Here is where you can taste their sweet creations—and support the Girl Scouts—in the North Central area.
- Churn, 5223 N. Central Ave. Assigned cookie is Savannah Smiles, dessert is Savannah Smiles Ice Cream
- The Crepe Club, 2502 E. Camelback Road (in the Biltmore Fashion Park). Assigned cookie is the Tagalong, dessert is a Tag-a-Crepe-Along
- Flower Child, 100 E. Camelback Road. Assigned cookie is the Toffee-tastic, dessert is a Toffee-tastic Chocolate Pudding (*gluten-free)
- Coup des Tartes, 1725 E. Osborn Road. Assigned cookie is Thin Mints, dessert is Decadent Thin Mint Chocolate Tarte
- The MARKET by Jennifer’s Restaurant + Bar, 3603 E. Indian School Road. Assigned Cookie is Trefoils, dessert is Twixted Trefoil Bar
All proceeds from Girl Scout Cookie Program and the Challenge are used to support Girl Scout programming in Arizona. As in recent years, the Girl Scouts will have all cookies on hand for immediate customer purchase.